Tap into the creativity and wisdom of local marketing professionals.
A couple years ago a respected nonprofit leader invited me to join him as he launched an informal “breakfast club.” He selected a handful of people who would meet monthly to talk about nonprofit marketing, social media and professional development.
The conversations of our small group always invigorated me and helped to keep my mind sharp and alert. As Proverbs 27:17 says, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”
For personal reasons, a couple members of the group quit meeting on a regular basis. To fill that void, another man and I are now creating a marketing exchange where a very small group of us will meet on a planned, organized and regular basis to talk about marketing trends, technology and strategy. Tentatively, we have identified criteria for considering individuals who might be part of our group. We want to interact with other marketing professionals who are:
- Insatiably curious about lots of things.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinkers. (Extra credit for not even knowing there was a box.)
- Committed to learning via traditional and nontraditional means.
- Exceptional communicators.
- Early adapters of 2.0 innovations and are eager to help create whatever comes next.
- Proficient on several social media platforms.
- Well-branded personally and professionally.
- Authentic, transparent and vulnerable.
This idea was originally created as part of the Rejuvenation Project, a month-long challenge to find one actionable idea per day that could help me to 1) keep my batteries charged, 2) remain focused on career priorities and 3) rejuvenate the creative spirit.