Are You Too Boring To Be on Facebook?

I‘m Facebook friends with a former radio journalist turned PR pro. She shares almost nothing on Facebook, saying, “I’d rather report the news than be the news.”

I don’t get it.

A relative of mine does not have a Facebook profile because, as she says, “My life is not interesting enough to share it with the rest of the world.”

You’ve got to be kidding!

I am privileged to know lots of people. They represent rich diversity of age, race, religion, politics, economic status, education and even personality. Yet, they all have one thing in common: Each has an incredibly interesting life and each has a unique story to tell.

In college I remember a guest lecturer looked across the room where a hundred or so of us had gathered. Decades later I’ve forgotten his name, but his words remain etched in my mind. He said, “The biography of every person in this room would be a best seller if written by a good writer who knows you well enough to tell your story.”

Those words have ruminated in my mind for years. It’s a powerful concept to think that my life story could be a best seller. Your biography would also be a best seller! Seriously!

Each of us has an incredibly interesting life story. Sometimes here on the day-to-day, pedestrian level our lives may seem mundane or perhaps uninteresting. I deeply believe, though, that God created each of us with diverse talents and placed us where we are for the higher purpose of serving others. There’s nothing mundane about that.

I refuse to believe that your life is dull.

I would never argue that Facebook is the right platform to tell every life story. But I’m not buying the lame excuse that you don’t share because you have nothing to say. My “BS detector” is calibrated to see through such trite excuses. If you chose to be quiet on Facebook, you’ve got to come up with a better reason than, “I don’t have anything to share because my life isn’t that interesting.”

Trust me on this: You live an interesting life. You have a unique voice. You have something to say that only you can.

Are you willing to share? Will you speak up? Will you join the conservation?

Advertisements

7 Responses to Are You Too Boring To Be on Facebook?

1. Beverly Benchina Brett says:

Nicely said, Duane. I remember something similar that Dr. Minon Hamm said to me. “Years from now when you have six children I will be reading a book you wrote.” Still haven’t written a book, although I’ve published poetry and short stories–but why in the world did she think I was going to have six children? lol

• Duane Hallock says:

I remember Dr. Hamm very well. Isn’t it surprising how the words of our professors and mentors return to us so many years later. It’s a good reminder that the impact we have upon others today may not become apparent for many years.

Dr. Hamm was a great English teacher, but not an accurate fortune teller. Six children, huh?

2. AlmitraB says:

I think people need to be reminded that their lives are interesting enough to share about. Nice post!

• Duane Hallock says:

Almitra, you had an interesting life before you became Will’s mother, but for the past year-plus, it seems like you’ve had no trouble coming up with Facebook status updates. It’s a good way to stay connected, and I enjoy watching Will grow up (via Facebook).

3. Carol Roberts says:

Hi Duane, it is 6:26 AM in the morning and your blog post is the first thing that I’m reading to start my day. Thank you for your poignant message, insight and perspective. I definitely share your sentiments and wholeheartedly agree when you said that we all had a unique voice and story to tell. I do now have a Facebook account and I used to feel very much like your friend and that my story wasn’t that interesting but decided to share it anyway. I have now come to see this medium (Facebook) as a gateway or conduit for the sharing and exchange of life experiences. Everyone in this life wants to feel known and understood by someone and some choose to do it privately while others choose to do it in a more communal way . Thanks again for caring enough to share.

Carol Roberts, Toronto, Canada

• Duane Hallock says:

Thanks for your thoughts, Carol. It’s indeed an honor to have written something that is the first thing you’ll read today. From various things you’ve written, I know you have voice worth listening to. Keep your blog posts, magazine columns, etc. flowing.

As far as Facebook goes, it took me a while to find my “voice” on that medium. It’s like learning to ride a bike. At first it’s fun although it doesn’t feel natural. After a while, creating content comes more naturally. Writing a status update is like being interviewed on the radio – the first few times we’re thinking about all the people who are listening. After time, though, we begin to talk more naturally. That’s when we find our true voice and we are able to connect with others in a more meaningful way.

4. Jennifer says:

From a more spiritual standpoint, I always believed that I didn’t have an interesting story or a testimony that was interesting to other people. About a year ago someone taught me that everyone has a story. All of the good things, as well as the bad things that happen in our lives all build our story. This speaker addressed that negative, hurtful things in someone’s past all make us into the person we are to become. The speaker also taught us that reflecting on our story, helps us recognize where we have been, and where we are now. We journaled about the most positive and happy times in our life. Then we had to journal about the worst, most hurtful, painful times in our life. It was interesting how when you allow yourself to really think about those things that are often suppressed, you can see how God has led you during those times.