October 13, 2010
Review my personal mission statement.
I‘ve spent quiet moments reflecting on my purpose in life. In so doing, I have come to realize that my personal mission is to:
- Understand the world around me.
- Create order from within the apparent chaos.
- Share unconditionally the abundance in my life.
I especially find it invigorating to see how my personal mission aligns with my work as a marketing professional. Any good marketer, after all:
- Seeks to understand by listening, asking lots of questions, reading and conducting some type of market research.
- Creates content, tells stories and produces materials to help consumers navigate through the chaos of a noisy market place.
- Shares ideas using a variety of traditional and new media, helping individuals to make good decisions and wise purchases.
Life is great when one’s personal mission aligns with a noble career calling (such as nonprofit marketing).
October 6, 2009
Several years ago I was a guest of the Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City at a workshop on “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” One of the exercises was to write a personal mission statement. Intrigued with the process, I continued revising mine long after the workshop concluded.
You see, I’m one of those people who needs to know WHY. I want to understand my raison d’être—my reason for being. I’ve spent quiet moments thinking about my purpose in life, and I’ve come to realize that my personal and professional missions merge together seamlessly.
My threefold mission in life is:
- To understand the world around me.
- To create order from within the chaos.
- To share unconditionally the abundance in my life.
That’s it in three word: understand, create and share. Those words came to life after I spent considerable time exploring the colorful dimensions of each.